basketball league

Trust me when I say that I am as equally shocked as you with the following announcement: I have joined a basketball team. For the first time in ten years.

Actually, let me rephrase that: I was recruited by a basketball team. For the first time ever.

A common way to stay active in Grand Cayman is to join corporate league sports teams. NS has already been a part of basketball, softball (briefly), and volleyball corporate teams. A common feature of these leagues is to require at least one female on the court at all times, probably to counter-balance the throngs of guys that sign up. Suddenly, girls find themselves being begged to join a team, else precluding the guys from participation.

Basketball was the one sport I played in high school. I didn't start dribbling a ball until 9th grade, and I can't say I made a lot of improvements over four years of play, but some of my favorite teenage memories were formed on the court. Let's just say it didn't take a bribe to get me to say yes. Plus, it meant a new pair of shoes.

AK and I are Thing 1 and Thing 2 for our team!
Neither N's firm nor mine could muster up enough people to form a proper team, so we joined others from our church, Sunrise Community Church, to register. (The league also allows for up to four "imports", of which we have three.)

The only problem we've had so far is the weather. October historically brings lots of rain to this island, and we've already had a game rained out more than once. Suddenly, our once-a-week game schedule is quickly turning into games on back-to-back nights to account for make-ups.

We finally had a game last week, which is why I have these photos in our impossibly-orange uniforms.


The game began well (although not on time, which is typical for Cayman, and never fails to frustrate me.) N and I both started, and although the other team scored first, it wasn't long thereafter that I caught a pass on a fast break, faked out my defender, and passed to N at the top of the key, who put it up for an easy two. Our victory dance (just kidding; there was no dance) was quickly interrupted by a clap of thunder, which meant only one thing: The downpour was near. A few seconds later, everyone was heading for cover, and with that, our two-minute, two-to-two game was postponed. So disappointing!

Anyway, the rainy spell can't last forever, so eventually our basketball season will get under way. I make no promises regarding stats, but I'm pretty sure it will be a ton of fun. Or at least, it will be memorable.

2 comments:

  1. Jenn I am so proud of you for joining a basketball league!! Dominate with those skillz you still hold from your Flame days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool. I'm proud of you too! Have a blast! :D

    ReplyDelete